A Prolific Bird and Mirror of Self

aIMG_0879

The hummingbird migration is in full swing in Texas, but in our own yard, it is more akin to an invasion. They race from flower to flower and feeder to feeder throughout the day as they weave in and out of the trees like water rushing through stones. Their high pitch squabbles can be heard from every direction of the yard. We catch them hovering in front of our windows and look for their return whenever they dart away leaving only a hint of their frenetic magic in their wake.

aIMG_0951

The migration goes by in a flash, and I can’t resist taking a short break in the evening to photograph these breath-taking beauties from my bedroom window. To my endless amusement, the birds seem equally intrigued with me. They readily park themselves inches away from the glass and observe me in return as they pose happily for the camera. Maybe they sense our shared delirious approach to life, or perhaps they, too, just want to quiet the noise for a few brief moments. It is also highly likely that they are contemplating pulling a Hitchcock move with me if I continue to refuse to buy more feeders. I may never know, but I prefer the idea of their finding an affinity with a kindred wild spirit.

aIMG_1755

Even if these little birds don’t recognize our similarities, the parallels are striking to me. Racing madly from task to task only to realize that the activity list never appears to get any shorter. Getting my feathers ruffled unnecessarily by those around me who happen to invade my space. Perpetually finding myself in search of more sugar. Clearly these birds and I have been taking notes from the same Questionable Life Choices manual.

Although I see much of myself mirrored in these avian maniacs, we do appear to have a few notable differences. For example I am doubtful that they frequently catch themselves working until 2, 3 or 4 in the morning to get the job done. I, on the other hand, have been in that position multiple times this week alone. With that said it only feels fair for me to disclose that I have yet to use my arms to fly hundreds of miles across country on multiple occasions throughout this year, so the birds appear to have bested me in the extreme modes of travel category. We also diverge in the whole “bird” / “human” distinction, but clearly the working hours and arm flap vs. plane mode of travel are the key disparities.

But differences aside, I still see so much of myself mirrored in their madness. Their uniqueness. Their ferocity. I can’t help but smile when I see them in action, but there is also something indescribably calming about watching them at rest. It’s just so unexpected and their beauty truly shines when they reflect that momentary stillness.

Sitting for a moment. Taking a few breaths. Finding the calm inside the chaos. And when it’s time again, diving into the hustle of life again.

Perhaps that’s the real lesson they are sharing and that’s the moment I should seek to mirror. I imagine that we could all use a little more of that in our lives.

Take a moment and take a breath. Find the quiet in the noise. And when you are truly ready, spread those wings once more.

Love and light always. Joanna

aIMG_1629

aIMG_1997

*All written and photographic works are the sole property of yours truly and written permission must be obtained for their use. Please respect copyright laws, and more importantly, please respect the laws of not behaving like a bonehead.

1. Trackback: PROLIFIC: Title of an Ilocano Grammar, Published 1627 in “The Most Noble and Ever Loyal City of Manila” | Kanlaon
  2. Anonymous
    Apr 21, 2018 @ 08:55:24

You took those photos???!!! What kind of camera do you have? Perhaps you are in the wrong business lol? LOVE you girl! xoxoxo

Apr 21, 2018 @ 10:43:07

I JUST got the camera and I’m head over heels in love with it! Ironically I’m going to write a post on the whole camera story later today (I hope!). I’ll give the name in that one but it will mess up the story if I write it now. You’ll get what I mean when I explain it. Xoxox

3. José María López
    Apr 21, 2018 @ 09:58:58

You made me imagine you wearing a feather in your hair and smoking a sacred pipe. Your insights sound as spiritual as the Native American elders´.

Apr 21, 2018 @ 10:40:11

I haven’t smoked at sacred pipe since college, and I’m pretty sure that the Native American elders would have found me less than spuritiual when I did. But I love you for the kind comment anyway sweet friend. 😉

4. José María López
    Apr 21, 2018 @ 10:45:17

I am sure it was just the absence of the feather the reason why you did not look spiritual.

5. Playamart - Zeebra Designs
    Apr 21, 2018 @ 23:23:57

Those photos are stunning – amazing, and I’m so glad that they weren’t camera shy! This is a beautiful post, one that suggests that those little orbs of energy might be your power animal!!!!

Apr 22, 2018 @ 18:31:20

That’s a fantastic post. I love me some totem animals and have been very amused at the funny messages we have received since we moved into this new house. Yes there is tremendous wisdom in that post. Wishing you the very best darling friend! ❤️ Joanna

6. Trackback: Prolific: Flower Parade – What's (in) the picture?
  7. Trackback: WPC: Prolific | Lillie-Put
  8. magickmermaid
    Apr 22, 2018 @ 10:25:49

These photos are fabulous! I agree: find the calm in the chaos! 🙂

9. shalini
    Apr 29, 2018 @ 23:15:58

Cute last lines. Lovely pics. This is the first time, I saw one of these birds up close. Wow.. A new camera? Are you going to become a free lancing photographer? Leaving those excel sheets behind?

10. misifusa
    May 02, 2018 @ 10:37:36

I adore hummingbirds and your photos are truly spectacular!!! My dear – how precious to have them so close and with such incredible colors! Love this post! xo

11. Jo Price
    Jul 05, 2018 @ 22:56:20

Reblogged this on Life in the Spectrum and commented:

We recently moved to a new home with all kinds of fun wildlife, and taking photos of the animals inspires and calms me. This post reflects both of those elements. Ping me if you have similar posts that capture a hobby you love that gets your writing brain in gear, too. I would love to read and share your writing as well. ❤️