I Feel Guilty About the Food I’ve Been Giving My Family

Picture_20180523_053716869.jpg

A week ago, I would have done backflips to get my paws on the naughtylicious crepe in the pic above. My kids would have been right there with me, too. Now a few short days later, it actually does not look that appealing to me. Even though it has only been a few days, no  one in the world is more stunned about this change in approach than I.

But my kids aren’t riding the low carb / no sugar train with me. They continue to eat the prepackaged sugar-ridden everythings that have adorned the shelves of our fridge and pantry for years.

So over the last week, I have started to include a few better options along with their standard selections (a.k.a. the normal crapola). I’m doing this gradually to avoid being met with miniature yet effective torches and pitchforks.

The part that makes me feel extremely
guilty is that whenever I have offered healthy additions, they have gobbled those up, too. No complaints (other than the squash dry heaving incident). No significant gripes. They have just eaten them and asked for more. I didn’t even have to push.

I’m not telling you that my kids are raising their voices to the angels in praise for kale. No one in my house is going to have that religious experience. But baked chicken, almond flour pancakes, avocado chocolate mousse (sounds gross but it’s actually fantastic), and other grilled veggies are being polished off as they lift their plates and ask for more.

They have been getting chicken nuggets when they would have been just as happy with baked chicken. And they would have been exponentially healthier for it. For years.

It’s one of those heavy “feel like a terrible mom” kind of moments. I wasn’t intentionally cheating them of nutrition. I simply didn’t try many alternatives.

It’s spilt almond milk at this point, but it does make me feel sad. All I can do is do better tomorrow. And the day after that. But the day after that I plan to regress so additional better days will have to follow that one.

For me, true self-improvement initiatives are always coupled with epiphanies about the positive changes I can implement as I continue along my human journey. I can handle that it takes me years to stumble into some of these epiphanies. My only wish is that my children’s well-being is not left hanging in the balance in the meantime.

Oh well. A little better each day will turn into lots of wonderful in the long-run. I just have to keep trying. ❤️

1. Playamart - Zeebra Designs
    Jun 04, 2018 @ 16:31:36

we are all on this earth to learn, to teach, to inspire – to uplift our fellow man (and woman!)… yours is a normal process for one who is awakening day by day… when we walk in many types of shoes and evolve out of not-so -healthy choices, we can look back with loving patience – for ourselves and for others.. you’re teaching your children much – and they would feel like oddballs if they didn’t eat chicken nuggets, etc, but they are learning – through your, why the switch to healthier options is an important ones.

my neighbor handed me a very sugar-rich food yesterday, and one bite made me feel sick… she understands about my sensitivity to sugar, and with as much respect as possible, i slowly shook myhead ‘no’ — a jolt of almost pure sugar was giving my entire body a negative reaction….

using stevia for a very long time, i no longer need or crave the sugar.. well, in the coffee, i enjoy milk, pure cocao powder (pacari) and a stevia/brown sugar mix…. rewards are ok – never guilt attached!

• Jo Price
      Jun 05, 2018 @ 05:09:57

I have been so surprised at how quickly my incessant cravings for sweet anythings has decreased. So far I can’t handle the taste of stevia, but I need to get my taste buds accustomed to it. I’ve been using Splenda instead, and while it’s better than sugar, it definitely is not better than the natural alternatives.

• Playamart - Zeebra Designs
        Jun 06, 2018 @ 14:18:14

yes, the powdered stevia or any processed form is pretty caustic – almost metallic in taste… using the dried leaves and adding lemon or – here i use maracuya/passion fruit… it’s strong in flavor and aroma.. i use that base to blend frozen drinks – someimtes with milk as well and it makes a nice milkyshake!!!

• Jo Price
        Jun 06, 2018 @ 14:23:35

I need to see how I can grow that here. Fresh is always so much better! 🙂

• Playamart - Zeebra Designs
        Jun 06, 2018 @ 14:36:30

i buy it dried in the farmer’s market – same place to buy ‘cola de caballo’ and guayusa!!! we are so lucky to have so much for fair prices! a bag of stevia costs a dollar and lasts me about three days… i brew at least a gallon of ‘aguita’ a day! there might be a grower that can supply it to you…

• Jo Price
        Jun 06, 2018 @ 14:40:18

You make me think of my middle daughter. She’s my artist and a true human fairy. It’s how I imagine you in my mind, too. 😊

• Playamart - Zeebra Designs
        Jun 06, 2018 @ 16:40:29

it would be fun to dote on youru dear daughter! a friends from nyc spends a lot of time here w/her 12-year old, and that young gal is highly evolved.. i suspect that your daughter is as well – intuitive? sensitive to nature, etc? i’m about to be offline til next week, so no need to reply! give her a hug from tia lisa!

• Playamart - Zeebra Designs
        Jun 06, 2018 @ 14:18:37

and congats on the progress you’re making! yayyyyy!

• Jo Price