Metamorphosis of the Monarch Caterpillar

I love butterflies. Their spectacular transformation is such a beautiful analogy to our own human journey of growth and awakening.

butterfly1

Unfortunately all of nature doesn’t appear to be in agreement with my sentiments. To our collective horror, my daughter and I witnessed a wasp tearing a caterpillar to shreds a couple of weeks ago in our yard. Consequently we were instantly inspired to create an impromptu monarch village via the butterfly boxes that are temporarily parked on my dining room table. Admittedly it feels a little “Silence of the Lambs” in there, but we have yet to make any skin suits out of the neighbors.

butterfly3

The butterflies are lovely and they bring such joy to all of us whenever we release them. However we have yet to sit for hours to watch every stage of their development. In all fairness to us, we can’t sit for hours doing anything. Given this short attention span challenge we face, I thought that it would be interesting to record one of our monarch caterpillars changing to chrysalis form so we could speed it up. The video is only about a minute long, but the actual process shown here took several hours.

Feel free to share with your children. It’s fascinating to watch this wild caterpillar in action. 🙂

Hugs to you! 🙂 Jo

This is the youtube link. https://youtu.be/BEFIUzgN5qY

butterfly2

1. foodzesty
    Jun 06, 2018 @ 05:43:55

Me too!!! I saw this fbook fantastic Jo 🙂

2. misifusa
    Jun 06, 2018 @ 08:36:44

I love this!!! thank you!! xo

3. José María López
    Jun 06, 2018 @ 08:45:23

Beautiful!! I envy you, I have to travel to Michoacán to see a monarch.

• Jo Price
      Jun 06, 2018 @ 08:48:25

That is probably my favorite memory of Mexico. The kids and I have talked about that a million times. I desperately want to take my kids to see that. Is it crazy dangerous down there nowadays?

4. José María López
    Jun 06, 2018 @ 09:09:30

Yes. I think it´s improved a little, so I would not say crazy dangerous, but definitely dangerous unfortunately.

5. Kendra Lee
    Jun 06, 2018 @ 12:25:26

Whoa! That’s a crazy cool video! Thanks for sharing!

6. I tripped over a stone.
    Jun 07, 2018 @ 09:28:44

Love this! (I loved the Silence of the Lambs, as well!) Brilliant and fun idea to do with the kiddos! I will be following suit, hopefully not becoming a suit! Sorry! I just can’t help it! LMAO! XOXO